Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week Nine: Relief and Sadness

Dear All,

Hope all of you are doing well. The expected moment for which we had a clock ticking in our mind as well as in the our class wiki came and went by. The long waited submission date which suddenly seemed to me galloped quite at the end is over. Passed quite a day, still vivid in my memory. Had a nagging headache, slept quite late in the previous night.

The ordeal of writing an extended piece always seemed to me a nightmare. But I think I should get used to it, after all it is the beginning. While drafting the project report I felt that some of my ideas are getting clumsily entangled in the 'endless' sentence(s) I was writing. Did not have enough time to revise, so I left it to my peer readers to go through the mess. I regret and apologize for the hard time I have given to my two wonderful classmates. I am sorry Arifeen and Mukhprat. Wondering myself why this realization came so late. I realize that I actually understood that extent of the pain my peer reader had to go through once I revisited my draft and tried to make sense out of it. Hope I could sufficiently clear the clatter in my final submission for my for my instructors so they can navigate with a little effort.

As it is supposed to be a reflection, so I think I should come out of my nonsensical blabbering and say in plain terms that I learned I lot literally a lot. Now I can empathize with my learners more once I remember how frustrating writing can be at times even after so years of academic training. I also learned to start a little earlier so that I do not have run at the end. I still have to learn how to separate myself from my writing and going through it at least one more time to have a fresh look. Above everything I have the epiphany that I should write frequently to come out of this dreadful feeling I have once I think of writing something substantial.

I vaguely remember my first meeting with Howard Gardner's brainchild multiple intelligence. It was probably introduced in one of the applied linguistic courses I took in my final years. Then I had the chance of knowing little more about it from a conference presentation where the two researchers showed how addressing different intelligence inside the classroom quite dramatically increase student's motivation. My last encounter with multiple intelligence took place in the 4th Teaching Learning Centre Workshop. In fact, it was the main attraction of a two hour session titled .I learned quite a lot not only theoretically but also practically by doing some very engaging activities. This time when saw the topic in the ninth week I realized that we would be knowing something new about it. My understanding about multiple intelligence become more solid after going though all the reading and reflecting about them. Now, I know that I can actually involve my students in different activities such as word games, puzzle, Webquest, presentation which will help them to learn differently.

I really feel sad that it is coming to an end. Even though my conscious mind says that you will not have to think of one more deadline but somewhere deep in my heart I feel the pain of loss of such great company.

Hope to keep in touch.

Biday(Goodbye)                 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Farid,

    No matter who you are we will always be learners as we tend to continue the learning process as long as we live. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nur,

      I can't agree with you more that we learn till we cease to exist. Someone would be living in a fools paradise to think that he has nothing to learn.

      Regards

      Farid

      Delete
  2. Farid, you've described your experience so vividly this week. Now our clicking clock says that massive project is BEHIND you! Congratulations!!!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jodi,

      I feel great to see that you liked description of my learning.

      It was really wonderful to have you as your instructor.

      Hope to keep in touch.

      Regards

      Farid

      Delete
  3. Hi Farid,

    Keep the good work progressing. I'm with you; yep, its a mixture of feelings at the tail end of the E course, both 'relief' and 'sadness'.
    ruki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruki,

      Nice to hear from you. My sadness is subsiding thinking that we can keep contact through some sort of platform. Hope you have also dealt with your sadness.

      Hope to keep in touch.

      Regards

      Farid

      Delete
  4. Hi Farid,
    I wanted to wish you towards the end of this course great luck.
    I hope that you encounter happiness and success in all your life.
    Best wishes,
    Nihmat from Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nihmat,

      I also wish you a very successful academic and teaching career in the years ahead.

      Hope to keep in touch.

      Regards

      Farid

      Delete